The U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, Sonny Perdue, issued a proclamation naming February 16-22 Grain Bin Safety Week. Over the past 50 years, more than 900 cases of grain engulfments have been reported in the United States with a fatality rate of 62 percent. In 2018, there were 30 documented grain entrapment cases. Grain entrapment cases rose 30 percent from 2017 to 2018.
Here are a few tips to help prevent grain entrapment:
- Keep grain bins off-limits to children and unauthorized personnel.
- Never work alone around grain bins (preferably groups of 3).
- Never enter a bin of flowing grain.
- Lockout power supply on all unloading mechanisms.
- Manage and monitor stored grain quality.
Please visit https://www.mynsightonline.com/home/grain-bin-safety-week for more information on grain bin safety.
National Ag Safety Database