Most people associate fall and farming with the traditional grain crop harvest, but did you know that agriculture plays a large role in your fall traditions? Many of these traditions are based around agritourism activities including picking apples, hayrides, pumpkin patches, corn mazes and other fun activities.
Here are some interesting facts, which showcase the impact that farmers have on the fall:
- Ohio ranks 9th in apple production.
- As of 2005, there were 7,500 apple growers with orchards covering 379,000 acres.
- Ohio ranks in the top 5 of all pumpkin producing states.
- An estimated 2 billion pounds of pumpkins are harvested on average years.
- As of 2008, it was estimated that the US had over 800 corn mazes.
- 45% of Americans plan to carve a jack o’lantern for Halloween.
This year when you are decorating picking apples, going on a hayride, or looking for your perfect pumpkin to carve, don’t forget to thank a farmer. Here is a list of local orchards and pumpkin patches:
- Pumpkin Peddler – Bowling Green, OH
- Country Lane Tree Farm – Genoa, OH
- Haslinger Orchards LLC – Gibsonburg, OH
- MacQueens Orchard – Holland, OH
- Moore Orchard – Oak Harbor, OH
- Witt Orchards – Oak Harbor, OH
- Jason’s Pumpkin Patch – Oak Harbor, OH
- Fleitz Pumpkin Patch – Oregon, OH
- Abke Farm – Pemberville – OH
- Johnston Fruit Farm – Swanton, OH
*Be sure to check out their websites for operating times and dates.
Sources: USApple, USDA, Corn MAzes America and Finder.com